Overview : Smart card authentication
EIDAuthenticate is the solution to perform smart card authentication on stand alone computers or to protect local accounts on domain computers. Made by certified security experts, EIDAuthenticate respects the spirit of the deep internal Windows security mechanisms and offers a user friendly interface.
- Windows XP or Windows 2003 or later.
- A local user account (on a stand alone computer or a domain joined computer)
For Windows XP, 2003, these OS are supported only not joined to a domain. The Remote Desktop protocol (terminal services) is working with or without NLA authentication.
Smart card requirements
A Smart Card coming with CSP support or with a mini driver is required. You can check the compatibility of your hardware using this procedure. We recommand using Gemalto IDPrime alias Axalto Cryptoflex .NET with EIDAuthenticate.
As most logon programs require specific smart card driver, storage facility on the smart card itself or user process authentication, this program is the only one which does the authentication inside of the security kernel of Windows (lsass.exe) : even with signature only card, your data is safe. For example EIDAuthenticate is the only solution supporting natively the windows “force smart card logon” policy, used to secure the local administrator accounts in datacenters or to comply with HSPD-12.
Differences between the Community and the Enterprise Edition
MySmartLogon has two editions of EIDAuthenticate. The first is the Community Edition designed for individuals wanted to use their smart card at home. It is distributed freely but is restricted to Home editions of Windows. This version is based on the 0.5 core. The second is the Enterprise Edition designed for large companies or governments. This version is based on the 1.0 core which is a complete rewrite of the code made in a secure development livecycle.
|Open Source (see sourceforge)
|Closed source. Custom compilation available to governments
|See the purchase page
|Number of smart cards for one account
|Configure another account, command line interface
|CRL / OCSP Checking
|Activated by default
|Operating System supported
|Windows XP, 2003, Vista, Seven, 10, 11, 2008, 8, 2012, 2016, 2019, 2022
|Windows Edition supported
|Home basic or Home Premium
|All Editions (Home, Pro, Enterprise)
- Does have EIDAuthenticate any certification ? EIDAuthenticate may be elligible to a FIPS 201 certification. However authentication software is not yet in the GSA categories.
- Can security audits be performed on EIDAuthenticate ? For the Enterprise Edition, audits can be performed by government entities on demand (the cost is 100 000€)
- I’m a home user who has Windows Pro. The Community Edition isn’t installing. Can I get the Enterprise Edition ? No, sorry.